Monday, October 25, 2010

Garlic Parmesan Couscous

 Over the last few weeks we've received several homegrown tomatoes from our neighbors. Every now and then I'll come home and see one or two sitting on our back porch. Towards the end of last week there was a sticky note on the front door that said "more tomatoes!". I looked out back and saw these...

 Since B isn't a huge fan, I have been enjoying the crops by myself. When we received this bunch, I knew I couldn't eat them all so it was time to get creative. Using ingredients I had on hand I came up with chicken parmesan with roasted tomatoes and garlic parmesan couscous.

 To make the chicken: Place the chicken in a zip lock and pounded them with a flat pan. Bread with Italian bread crumbs and baked at 400 degrees for approx 20 minutes.


To make the roasted tomatoes: Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and the larger tomatoes into 1 inch chunks. Toss the tomatoes in a glass baking dish with olive oil, fresh garlic, basil and 21 season salute (from TJ's). Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, at the same time as the chicken. Mash tomatoes to create a sauce. Top chicken breast with sauce and a slice of cheese (I used provolone) and pop back in the oven for a minute or two. 

Meanwhile, prepare the garlic parmesan couscous, see recipe below. I made this recipe up as a solution for an affordable and delicious side. I used to eat Near East flavored couscous and rice pilaf all.the.time. That is until I realized it is so easy to make and probably better for you (less sodium, for sure)
 
Garlic Parmesan Couscous
1 cup whole wheat couscous
1 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese

In large sauce pan, combine broth, olive oil and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and pour dry couscous into sauce pan. Stir well. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and slowly add parmesan cheese. 



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that looks SO delICIOUS!! i wish i were your neighbor and you would leave little sticky notes on my door 'more dinner i cooked for you!' YUM. when you move to colorado, let's do that, ok? :)

fadante