Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Greeting Card Box

I try to be the card maker who plans ahead and makes batches of cards in advance, getting birthday and holiday cards in the mail on time. Truth is, I am usually whipping them together the night before. In the end it all gets into the mail the same way, but I would love to be more prepared.

For me, part of that is also having a place to store cards so that they're not mixed in with all my other craft supplies. I've seen greeting card boxes - with handy divided sections for just because, birthday, thank you, etc - at Hallmark (although I cannot find a link to one!) and thought it was such a great idea. I decided it was high time to make one for myself.

After a few weeks of searching for the right size box to hold a variety of card sizes, I settled on this floral printed gift box from Michael's. Although I like mums, I do not love the print on the box. I did love the size, magnet closure top and the price of $4 (coupons are the BEST!). I knew I could find a nice piece of paper to cover this, and I was right. I purchased a sheet of the wood grain kraft paper at Paper Source for $2.50.
 
I measured the paper and cut it into two strips in order to properly cover the box. Using book binding glue, paint brush, scissors and a bone folder I got to work. I did the bottom, back and lid first. Then I used the second piece to wrap around the front and sides. The inside of the box was light orange, and will be filled with cards, so I was not concerned with that.

While the box dried I spent some time purging my scrap paper. I recycled a lot of odds and ends, and held on to some of my favorite patterns to make a sign for the front of the box.

Using the Cricut and a variety of cartridges, I made the word CARDS!


I was hoping the letters would pop out a little more, but with pattern on pattern, they were getting lost. At the suggestion of always the clever IHB, I put the letters on a piece of light pink paper.

Ta-da: my very own greeting card box!


A peek inside...


and a side view...


I love it! This was so easy to put together it makes we wonder why I waited so long. Oh well! This weekend I'm hoping to spend some time making cards to fill 'er up!


This post is part of my September Creative Challenge. Thanks for following along as Inspired Honey Bee and I do something creative Monday - Friday all this month. Final week!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this box!! So cute. I have one too, but it's not nearly as cute or homemade as yours :)