Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lentil Soup

There's nothing better than walking in the door after a long day and being welcomed home by the smell of a delicious crock pot creation. Growing up I can remember my mom using the crock pot quite a bit. Since owning my own crock pot I've sadly only used it a handful of times. Well, that's going to change!

Last week, a particularly rainy and cold week, I thought it would be good to try making soup in my crock pot. Not only did I enjoy the smells as I walked in the door, I loved that dinner was already done! It was also nice to have plenty of healthy leftovers to take for lunch.

Since this was my first try at making soup, I wanted to do something fool proof. Turns out this was completely fool proof and actually really good. I chopped all the vegetables the night before. In the morning I added the seasonings and liquids. Turned on the crock pot as I walked out the door and vvwwaa laaaaa, Lentil Soup when I arrived home.

Try it for yourself...

Lentil Soup
INGREDIENTS:
1 c. dry lentils
1 c. chopped carrot
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
3 1/2 c. chicken broth or veggie broth
1 1/2 c. water1 (14 1/2 oz) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:
Rinse lentils. In crock pot place lentils, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir in broth, water and undrained tomatoes. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 12 hours or on high heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Discard bay leaf. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Definitely making this! Thanks