Monday, August 10, 2009

I would like to introduce you to the Cheeseburger Bird

I must admit that I was pretty skeptical when Brian told me about a bird that sang "cheese bur-ger." I'd heard him imitate the whistle several times but still thought he was pulling my leg. It wasn't until recently while hiking in Tahoe I heard the chirp and knew immediately what I was hearing. It was THE Cheeseburger Bird! Throughout the hike we heard several calls for burgers but never managed to see the birds.

Fast forward to Sunday morning. While waiting in line at the grocery store I was browsing Sunset magazine. The first sentence of an article about Lake Tahoe reads, "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheese." I couldn't help but laugh and immediately read the article to Brian.

I was intrigued and wanted to learn more about this apparently infamous little bird! A quick search on Google showed me that The Cheeseburger Bird is well documented. Also known at the Black Capped Chickadee, this little bird can be heard singing "cheeseburger" throughout the spring and summer throughout the Sierra's. The bird is heard much more than it is seen. I've attached a photo because this cute little bird looks like it probably only eats a small order of fries and not a whole cheeseburger!

Next time you're in Tahoe, take a moment to listen for the Cheeseburger Bird. Even if you can't hear the song, share the story; it's bound to get plenty of laughs!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i had to hear it for myself!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ou9J8G56mo

Anonymous said...

The northern Atlantic cheeseburger bird
Not to be confused with the pacific white tailed hotdog bird

Unknown said...

While camping in philbrook about 20 years ago , my nephew named that bird th " cheeseburger bird". So great that other people name it the same thing. I am in Montana currently and there are cheeseburger birds here too!!

Unknown said...

Trailer Park Boys... Randy??? Cheeseburgers!

Anonymous said...

I heard this bird last summer, in Baltimore MD. I immediately began calling it "The Cheeseburger Bird" and now my 5 and 2 year old nieces call it that too. I was thrilled upon finally googling it to find that other people call it that too, and that I'm not crazy! So glad to know what bird it actually is.

"Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheese"! LOL!

Kwabb said...

"Hey, Lucy doesn't it sound like they are saying cheeseburgers?" - Bobandy