Monday, April 15, 2013

Hi, I'm Baxter!

Hi, I’m Baxter! I am a three and a half year old German shorthaired pointer (GSP). Two months ago today I was adopted from the Foothills Animal Shelter by the Lackores. Prior to arriving at the shelter I went by the name Magnum and lived in rural Kansas with a GSP breeder, who raised hunting dogs. It’s debatable whether I was a real hunting dog but I certainly love pointing at birds, squirrels and small dogs and using my big nose to take in all the scents. 

I first met the Lackores on Valentine’s day when they came to look for a dog. I saw them walk by a few times and next thing I knew we were in a visitation condo and they were throwing the ball for me. I was loving up all their attention and tried to be on my best behavior. They thought it was cute that I jumped up to hug them. Turns out they went home that night and talked to some family and friends and did some research on my breed (like watching this video). 
I guess my hugs paid off because the next day I was sporting a new collar and heading out of the shelter with my new parents! They kept mentioning someone named Baxter and I was a little confused but then I realized that was ME they were referring to! I feel much more like a Baxter than a Magnum, so I'm ok with the name change.  Now a days I also go by Bax Dog or BD for short (like my tail!).

The past two months have been a roller coaster of excitement! I have loved settling into my new house. I am pretty free to roam in the upstairs when my parents are home and love the spacious backyard. I was quickly banned from the downstairs on my own because I thought I could use it as a bathroom…that plush carpet sure feels like grass to these paws!


We live really close to some open space and I just looooove going for runs there. Have you seen all those birds and deer? Well, next time I’ll point them out to you! Oh and the smells, mmm mmm mmmm.  I equally love going to the dog park on the hill. I cannot get enough of chasing all those tennis balls. My parents tell me I’m the fastest dog at the park! 

As much as I love running and playing, I really love my dog bed. There is nothing better at the beginning, middle and end of each day than stretching out to take a nap! Just typing this makes me want to curl up and take a snooze. 

The hardest part of this new situation has been while my parents are at work. I get pretty bored, and anxious that they’ve forgotten all about me, so I find projects to surprise them when they get home. Unfortunately it seems like they are disappointed when they come home to my surprises. So I started a class where I get to eat a lot of treats and apparently I will improve my bad behaviors. I can’t wait to make my parents real proud!  

Although I'm not always the best at expressing it, I am really thankful I was adopted by the Lackores. I think I'm a pretty sweet addition to their family!



Phew – my paws are tired from all this typing but it’s sure been fun. I hope to share more of my adventures and misadventures with you soon!

Woof, Baxter

3 comments:

Debbie Mendes Cotton said...

So excited to have Baxter in the family!! Love you boy!! xoxo auntie debbie

Dog run said...

Now you have got your dog a suitable kennel or a dog run, what is your dog doing when it is not exercising? I browsed through quite a bit dog beds with all sorts of design and style.

Sam said...

It is very good and nice collection. Love to see this. I am looking for more, can you provide me the more collection? Thanks.
Farm Supplies